Wednesday, May 29, 2024
HomePremier LeaguePalmer brace in stoppage time: Chelsea dramatically beat Man United 4-3

Palmer brace in stoppage time: Chelsea dramatically beat Man United 4-3

In a crazy game, Chelsea FC secured a late victory against Manchester United. Palmer scored a brace late in stoppage time to give the Blues their first win over the Red Devils since 2017

At the end of matchday 31, the Premier League had another absolute classic of English soccer to offer: Chelsea FC hosted Manchester United on Thursday evening and were aiming for their first win against the Red Devils since 2017. Chelsea coach Mauricio Pochettino did not make any changes to his first eleven after the 2-2 draw against Burnley. United coach Erik ten Hag, on the other hand, made three changes from the 1-1 draw at Brentford. Maguire replaced the injured Lindelöf, while Casemiro and Antony started for McTominay and Rashford (both bench).

Chelsea take an early 2-0 lead

The game had its first cracker after just four minutes: Following a loss of possession by the young Mainoo, the Blues switched gears quickly and Gusto crossed from the right wing to the free-standing Gallagher at the back. His direct shot landed in the net to give Chelsea an early lead, although United goalkeeper Onana did not look good (4th minute).

And the Blues continued in the same vein: Mudryk first missed from distance in the 9th minute to make it 2-0, but it was to come from the spot shortly afterwards. Antony had brought down Cucurella in the penalty area, Palmer thanked him and increased Chelsea’s lead with a penalty (19′). There was little to see from United up to this point, with Disasi even having the chance to score a third. However, the defender put his header over the goal from close range (25′).

United turn the game around

A missed chance that was soon to take its revenge: Only a short time later, the scoreboard at Stamford Bridge showed the score at 2:2. First Garnacho capitalized on a mistake by Caicedo to score the equalizer (34′), then United captain Bruno Fernandes nodded in a Dalot cross from close range (39′). The second goal continued an inglorious run for the Blues, who had now conceded at least two goals in their sixth consecutive competitive match. However, it was still not half-time, and Gallagher hit the post again for the home side as five minutes of stoppage time expired (45.+5).

The second half also got off to a fast-paced start, with both defensive lines facing major problems on several occasions. Chelsea’s Jackson had the best chance in the early stages of the second half, but his powerful shot was saved by Onana (52′). The visitors were then able to celebrate again: Antony’s cross from outside the box found Garnacho, who headed the game into the Red Devils’ hands (67′).

The Blues then tried again, but the home side rarely found a way through the compact United defense. Palmer once again created danger with a cheeky attempt from a free-kick from an acute angle, but Onana was on hand (73′).

Crazy stoppage time: Palmer’s double gives Chelsea the win

So Chelsea had to wait until stoppage time, but it was a tough one. After the Blues were hardly dangerous for a long time, Madueke swung the momentum again. With a quick run, the joker passed Dalot and was brought down in the penalty area – referee Jarred Gillett again pointed to the spot (90.+7). Palmer stepped up from the spot again, and the youngster again kept his cool to score the acclaimed 3:3 (90.+10). But it wasn’t over yet: a final corner in the eleventh (!) minute of stoppage time was to decide the game: Enzo Fernandez found Palmer, whose deflected finish smashed into the net – 4:3 for the Blues (90.+11).

At the end of the match, Chelsea FC were able to celebrate their first win against Manchester United since 2017 and move closer to the Red Devils in the table. While the Blues visit bottom club Sheffield United next Sunday (6.30pm), Man United host title contenders Liverpool two hours earlier



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Most Popular

Recent Comments